Friday, May 6, 2011

Grateful #7 – What are you thankful for today?

Still blue-sky days, cool, crisp mornings, and socks to bed – what a lovely week!
Today I’m grateful for:

Silence. This week, our youngest managed to smash the television screen. I’m still not exactly sure how she managed it; I ran into the room after the crash/bang to a crying Lou toddling towards me, and Judah, arm outstretched finger pointed towards his little sister in revelation, saying ‘Um-ahhh, Lou-Lou...’
I was relieved that Lou was unharmed, of course; but I was surprised to not be more upset about losing the tele. But, as it’s turned out, it’s been a bit of a blessing in disguise, as it’s enabled us to do lovely things as a family - like pottering about in the garden (and having long discussions about what crops to plant next), making pasta together, and reading five or more stories before bed instead of two. It’s allowed impromptu concerts, more guitar playing, new games, more cuddles, less rush and some very welcome silence.
I don’t think we’ll be hurrying to replace it.

But, in a complete and utter contradiction, this week I’m also grateful for:

Image from here.

The BBC (and their adoption of the period drama genre). Before the death of said television, I’d been watching the most gorgeous BBC series, ‘Lark Rise to Candleford,’ based on the stories and novels of Flora Thompson. It’s full of kind-hearted, wholesome characters, meddling neighbours, beautiful countryside, growing rural hamlets, and sweetly simple lessons on morals and principles.
I’m totally, utterly and hopelessly hooked.
I tucked myself up in bed twice during the week, with a cup of tea and my laptop, and watched until well after while the house slept – bliss! So thank you, BBC, for introducing a new generation to simpler, kinder times, and for bringing my favourite stories to life; it’s the most wonderful form of escapism.

Nat

Ps. Want to play too? Link your list back to the lovely Maxabella, or you can leave your grateful list in the comment section below x

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! She is a lucky little thing that she didn't get hurt. I'd imagine that would of been a scary incident for her.

Sounds like you guys had a great week without your TV. Family time is the best isn't it.

jody said...

Socks in bed is the best!
nice to meet you :)